He’s had his own postage stamp, a public school is named for him, he has his own festival held every fall in Lisbon, Ohio – and he even has his own day – March 11th is Johnny Appleseed Day. Unfortunately he didn’t have a refrigerator. Johnny was a pioneer in 1800’s who wanted nothing more than to plant apple trees. In fact he had 1,200 acres of apple tree nurseries and lived to a ripe (pardon the pun) old age – and we like to think it has everything to do with apples. In Johnny’s day, he had to eat them fast or they’d go bad – these days technology and innovation allows us to keep Johnny’s favorite fruit crisp and fresh.
An Apple A Day…
Before we get into some of the incredible new refrigerators at Home-Tech with crisping drawers you’ll want to fill to the brim with apples (and every other tasty fruit and veggie you fancy), here are some of the reasons why apples are the bomb:
- An apple is only 95 calories, 0.3 grams of fat, and no cholesterol. Summer’s coming and the apple is good for your beach body.
- Enjoy your apple without peeling – almost all of the antioxidants are found in the skin. Don’t discard all those vitamins!
- An apple has five grams of fiber. Skip the Metamucil and go for nature’s alternative (besides, an apple tastes better than Metamucil).
- You have your choice of a whopping 2,500 apple varieties in the United States alone. Some love Honey Crisp, while swear by Gala apples.
- Some nutritionists say with all of the apples’ benefits that they may mitigate the effects of asthma and Alzheimer’s disease, while helping with weight management, bone health, pulmonary function and gastrointestinal protection.
So, how to keep them fresh?
Amanda, one of the fabulous appliance sales pros at the Home-Tech showroom in Fort Myers recommends the new “four door” refrigerators. They’re French door fridges that look fabulous in every kitchen, but the crispers are separate – with some, the main doors don’t even have to be opened and the drawers just slide out. Three of the top manufacturers offer these ingenious new models – Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool.
- Samsung 36”, 30 cu. Ft. 4-Door Refrigerator with Cool Select Plus (model #RF32MQDB). This super sleek stainless steel refrigerator saves you trips to the grocery with 25.6 ft. available for apples (and of course, other fruits – plus veggies, meats, and cheeses).
- The LG 29 cu. Ultra-Capacity 3-Door French Door Refrigerator with Dual Icemakers (model #LFXS29626B) features a Smart Cooling System designed to keep your apples (and other foods) fresher, longer.
- The Whirlpool 36” Wide 4-Door Refrigerator With More Flexible Storage (model #wrx988sib) boasts a Triple Crisper system and lots of room for your apples (as well as other groceries).
Stop by Home-Tech and check these models out. You’re welcome to bring a bag of your favorite apples to see how well they fit – you just have to promise to share a few with us.
Fresh Apple Salad for Spring
To truly enjoy the taste of fresh, crisp apples, we love this quick and easy apple salad recipe for a warm spring day:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons honey
2 medium (2 cups) apples, cored, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup seedless red grapes
1/4 cup sliced 1/4-inch celery
2 tablespoons raisins
Combine sour cream, cinnamon and honey in large bowl; mix well. Add all remaining ingredients; stir until coated. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour – enjoy!